History of Chandannagar
History of Chandannagar
Urbanization of Chandernagore started centering round three localities Khalisani, Boro Kishanganj and Gondalpara. Chandannagar was established as a French colony in 1673, obtaining permission from Ibrahim Khan, the then Nawbab of Bengal, to establish a trading post on the right bank of the river Hooghly.
It became a permanent French settlement in 1688. In 1730 Joseph francois Dupleix was appointed governor of the city. In 1756 war broke out between France and Great Britain, and the British Navy captured Chandannagar on 23 March 1757. Chandernagore was restored to the French in 1763, but recaptured by the British in 1794. The city was returned to France in 1816, along with a 3 sq miles (7.8 km2) enclave of surrounding territory. It was governed as part of French India until 1950, under the political control of the governor-general in Pondicherry, though India became independent of Britain in 1947.
The Govt. of French Republic, in agreement with the Govt. of India declares that "it intends to leave to the populations of French establishment in India themselves the right to pronounce their future fate & future status".
The citizens of Chandernagore voted in favour of the merger of the territory with India.
2nd May 1950
The Govt. of India took over the administration (de-facto transfer) of Chandernagore.
2nd February 1951
"Treaty of session" of the Territory of the free town of Chandernagore was signed in Paris by the representatives of the president of India & the President of the French Republic (refer Article – VII & IX).
9th June 1952
Chandernagore was transferred de-jure to the Union of India.
19th August, 1952.
Ministry of External Affairs Notification date19th August, 1952.
Article I : France transfer to India, in full sovereignty, the territory of the Free town of India .
Article III : The Government of the Republic of India shall take over the civil servants and employees of the Free Town of Chandernagore and those of the French establishments in India who may be serving in Chandernagore on 2nd May, 1950." (De Facto transfer).
19th Nov, 1953
as per sec 3 of the Commission of Enquiry Act, 1952 the Central Govt. was pleased to appoint a Commission consisting of Dr. Amarnath Jha, Chairman, P.S.C, Bihar to inquire and ascertain the wishes of the citizens of Chandernagore in regard to the future administration of the Territory.
8th May, 1954
Decisions of Govt. of India on 'Jha Report‘ (Chandernagore Enquiry Commission) headed by Dr. Amarnath Jha as follows:-
- Chandernagore should have a Municipal Corporation. The legislative measure necessary for this purpose will be considered by the state Government.
- Facilities will be provided for the maintenances and development of French culture in Chandernagore.
- Primary Education will be free and facilities will also be given for the teaching of French and Hindi.
- Secondary schools maintained by French administration will be managed by the State Government.
- The maintenance of Chandernagore College will also be the responsibility of the State Govt,etc.
As per Chandernagore (Merger) Act,1954
Chandernagore merged with the State of West Bengal 2nd day of October, 1954
Item 3 : "Chandernagore to form a part of West Bengal – (1) as from the appointed
day Chandernagore shall form part of the State of West Bengal ……."
Item 14 : " Rights, liabilities and obligations.(1) All rights, Liabilities and obligations of
the Central Government arising out of, or in relation to, the administration of
Chandernagore shall, as from the appointed day, be rights, liabilities and
obligations of the State Government …………."
The Chandernagore Municipal Act, 1955 (WB Act XVIII of 1955)
30th December, 1994:
The Chandernagore Municipal Corporation Act, 1990 (West Bengal Act xxxii of 1990) came into force.
At present the Corporation is governed as per The West Bengal Municipal Corporation Act, 2006 ( W.B. Act XXXIX of 2006).